Thursday, September 16, 2010

Paved With Good Intentions

You may know that my day job is as a landscaper. I've been doing it for about four years, and am now a "qualified" tradesman. I've still got a lot to learn though! At the moment, I am doing some paving. Should take about three weeks, unless I do some long days to finish it quicker. Might do that!

For the uninitiated, when paving, you mix up mortar (sand, cement and water) and then put the pavers on top of that, making sure that they are flat, or sloping to allow water to drain off, without any edges sticking up to trip on.

Bored yet?!

SO... anyway... It's important to get the consistency of the mortar right. Too dry and it will be impossible to use. Too wet and it won't support the weight of the paver, it will just be sloppy. But the right balance is very rewarding and makes the job much easier and enjoyable.

Too much water also makes the mortar weaker. I don't know why. And I don't NEED to know why! All I need to know is not to put too much water in the mix. Maybe one day I will read some boring article... (other than this one) and it will tell me the chemistry etc, but for now, all I need to know is not to put too much water in.

Life is a bit like that. God is a bit like that. We all know what we should do, what right and wrong is etc... so let's just do it. If I didn't start paving until I knew every single detail about it, then I would be a very ineffective employee, giving my company /boss a bad reputation. I would be dead weight, worse than that, I would be a complete nuisance!

I know enough to do a great paving job, and then everyone is happy! I know enough to do what I get paid to do. So I just do it.

In life we all know enough to just get on and do it, and to be really effective at it. The problem comes when we want to know everything before we do anything. We should just use what we know already and get on with it. More knowledge will come as life goes on. Don't hide behind your intellect, waiting until you get every single answer to every single question that you have. You'll be long dead before you ever understand a fraction of what you want to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment