Friday, October 30, 2009

Snobbery

I love driving out in the countryside for many reasons. One of those reasons is that people wave to eachother, often for no reason other than they are friendly and think of other people. Nowhere is the contrast so evident than when I am driving in Merivale. (A suburb in Christchurch where people have lots of money but never seem to work). Now this is not a blog to bash the financially well endowed amongst us. Thats not cool. Who knows where money comes from or how hard someone has worked etc... But what I do get annoyed about is how some people don't wave when you give way to them on a narrow street for instance. Common courtesy, manners, politeness. Sure, they were probably too busy looking down their nose to notice me making way for their Merivale Tractor, that's fine, I have a nose and sometimes I like to look at it, it is interesting how it sort of sits there and sticks out a bit, but failing to wave at others who have literally gone out of their way for you is the height of rudeness.

I counted in this past week, a dozen or so times where cars moved out of the way, and waited for other cars to go through narrow parts of some streets in Merivale. I always smile and wave to say thanks, but I was up to about ten before I received a smile and wave in return. Now, That is rudeness. I am not expecting a smile / wave combo. One will do. A smile OR a wave. I understand that women have a hard enough time driving as it is, I don't expect them to dish out a courtesy combo. Only experienced drivers should try that one. But it is very easy to make a single-act-acknowledgement, and there really is no excuse for not doing this. Please-thankyou-handwave. The common manners that are in place in all other areas of Christchurch and the civilised world. Except in Merivale. Pick up your act. You are a disgrace.

Having said that, I know of some areas where a smile and a wave results in severe road rage. That is probably worse than complete snobbery. In order to keep myself clear of this road rage I will not be driving my car through the front doors of Destiny Church.

1 comment:

  1. Courtesy driving manouvres are Gifts - no strings attached. A smile or a wave is also a Gift. Yes, I hope one day to be able to coordinate a smile and a wave when driving, but for now it is hard enough to press the go and stop pedals at the same time and I haven't yet figured out what that other one is for - I only have 2 feet.

    Snobby people need more grace cos they're bound up in harshly judging and evaluating everyone, including themselves, on appearances, all because of their deep insecurities - what an exhausting and peaceless way to live. You never get to appreciate the fascinating depths and intricacies of an individual if you obsess over superficialities - and that's really sad.

    ReplyDelete