Monday, November 2, 2009

Weather Poorcast

I work outside. So it is a nightly ritual to go online or watch the weather news to see what i'm in for the next day. Rain? Sun? Wind? etc. It is very important. Should I wear my shorts or should I wear my shorts? Do I need to wear my woolly hat. Or if it's going to be sunny ,then I can look forward to enhancing my sockline tan. The contrast of my white feet with brown legs is something to behold. It is compulsory to wear footwear when you board a plane and earlier this year I boarded a plane barefoot because the attendants thought I was wearing white shoes.

There would be no problems here if they actually managed to transmit accurate weather forecasts. Because I work outside, I have a fairly good idea as to what the weather is actually doing, so I think I can speak with some authority on this. Today for example, all major channels said that there would be some drizzle or spots of rain, but NO, I worked in the sun all day with my shirt off. I am sunburnt. There was barely a cloud in the sky and a nice breeze. This is the case MOST days. Apart from the semi-nakedness. That is saved for special occasions, such as when they predict rain. Then I know it will be sunny. Severe weather predictions are usually pretty accurate, but that is the exception. 99% of the days I work are sunny or mostly sunny. Occasionally there is a bit of drizzle or a few spots of rain. This does not correspond to the weather forecasts!

I would say for every 10 days that they predict rain, there would be a maximum of 1-2 days when it actually happens! What a joke. Why do they do this? Tourists would look at the weather map and think twice about coming here. But actually it is fine! Literally. Is this just another symptom of our fear based media, making things seem to be a much bigger deal than they really are? The weather news would be boring if it was always accurate. "Fine in the south, a few clouds here and there". That's all I need. Stupid news sensationalism is costing our country millions in lost tourism.

I wonder if you could take a time travel trip twenty years in to the future what you might hear at 6:55pm weekdays. A typical fine day with some high cloud may be described as: "Partly cloudy with chance of meteors and acid rain, you will burn in three seconds so don't go outside. Severe hail possible, chance of tornadoes and tsunami. Fine spells increasing with chance of major volcanic eruption. Take your umbrella.

Just give me the weather as it is! Stop covering all of your bases so you don't annoy anyone! Clearly that politically correct approach isn't working!

2 comments:

  1. I believe this only happens in Chch and it is a cunning plan to keep those North Islanders out. Coming from Auckland I used to think that Christchurch was one of the wettest, windiest and coldest places in NZ.

    In fact it is one of the mildest, sunniest and refreshing places, we just don't want the rest of the country to know about it, because then they'll al want to live here.

    It's all a cunning plan. So cunning we could....ferret! (fill in the gaps yourself)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Gimli, my axe-wielding friend. I think we need to go to Mordor (Auckland) and kill Sauron (John Banks) so that the darkness will stop spreading south in to our free land (New Zealand).

    ReplyDelete